‘Mind Hacks’ is a series of workshops that have been developed by Helplink’s Garda vetted, insured and qualified Counsellors and Mediators. We currently provide these workshops to primary, secondary and third level students across Galway City and County.
Our workshops are available at set, reasonable costs, they are generally funded via school contributions, parental contributions, PTA contributions, DEIS school funding and other local and national funding sources.
Briefs are available for each workshop please email email@example.com for more details.
To book a workshop for your school/college please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (091) 759887.
Mind How You Go
We have two workshops under ‘Mind How You Go’ – one for Primary and one for Second & Third level students.
Primary School Workshop:
The ‘Mind How You Go’ workshops are one-hour workshops aimed at pupils from 4th class to 6th class.
The workshop is focused on mindfulness and positive mental health, where students will gain an insight into their thoughts and feelings (Max participants 32).
Each participant will get a booklet to take home that includes some tips for parents/caregivers on how to support their child in times of emotional unease/distress.
The workshop includes:
- Welcome and introduction (what is mindfulness and mental health)
- Warm up activity
- Learning about our brain and who lives where (house model)
- Feelings and our body
- Logical thinking/coping strategies (resetting your system e.g. movement, body scan, breathing)
- Mediation & Ending
*These shorter workshops for primary schools are charged at €300 per workshop
Second and Third Level Student Workshops:
The ‘Mind How You Go’ workshops for second level students are 2 hours long, they are aimed at 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th year students but can be adapted for 1st and 2nd year students on request; ‘Mind How You Go’ is also aimed at 3rd level students.
These workshops are also focused on mindfulness and positive mental health (Max participants 32).
The workshop includes:
- Discussion on the concepts of Stress and Anxiety and how they can impact us
- Introduction to Mindfulness and exercises to demonstrate how it can help us deal with our Stress and Anxiety
- Exploration of personal values
- Introduction to a new mental model in order to create awareness and flexibility in using all our mental skills
- Self-Care: Discussing the importance of minding ourselves physically, mentally and emotionally including creating an individual care plan for ourselves
‘Changing Conflict’ is a 3 hour workshop that has been developed by Helplink’s qualified, insured and Garda vetted Mediators. The pilot was originally developed and provided to students across Galway in partnership with the NUIG EXPLORE programme in 2016.
The aim of the workshop is to provide conflict resolution training to second level students in transition year and/or 5th year (Max participants 32).
The programme can assist students with:
- Understand similarities and differences (exclusion and inclusion)
- Understand that perceptions vary and how to avoid bias
- Understand the nature of communication and the requirement to communicate effectively to resolve conflict.
- Realise that conflict is present and the need to deal effectively with conflict to ensure that all persons and interests are respected
- Learn that there is a requirement to engage in mechanisms and methods to resolve conflict
- Learn to undertake practice negotiation and a trial mediation
- Gain skills and training in active listening, better communication (two-way), cooperation with others as part of a team, appropriate assertiveness in resolving conflict etc.
‘The Voyage’ is an all day 6th Class Workshop, focusing on the transition from primary to secondary; all ‘Mind Hacks’ workshops for Primary Level are evidence based. The workshops utilise a combination of Art Therapy and Play Therapy therapeutic approaches; utilising directive methodologies. ‘The Voyage’ will provide an opportunity for each student to creatively explore their own individual feelings relating to the transition from Primary to Secondary school (Max participants 32).
Workshop Content Creative Process:
- Welcome and Introduction
- Large creative group piece – symbolically representing their voyage
- Individual creative work
- Further development of group piece
- Discussion and Creative closure
Method: Large group interactive piece, Individual creation, individual and group reflection.
Reflection on journey so far in primary school, exploring sense of self, acknowledging the process of change, promotion of creative expression, empowerment, strengthening peer relationships and understanding group dynamics, resilience and confidence building, self – reflection, enhancing self-esteem, coping with stress and anxiety and dealing with change and new beginnings.
Specialised Small Group Workshops
Our small Specialised Group Workshops are provided for 2 to 6 students maximum. The workshop has an 8 week commitment, at 1 hour per week. Examples of some of these workshops where we have helped are when the school identifies that children / young people are dealing with issues such as stress/ anxiety, bullying, bereavement of a fellow student, bereavement of family member etc.
- Primary school workshops are facilitated by our Play and Art Therapists
- Secondary school workshops are facilitated by Counsellors/Therapists who have worked with young people
This Workshop Fee = €200 per day (8 week workshop €1600) plus 50 expenses per day for workshops outside of Galway City.
Helplink has already provided our Mind Hacks workshops to 300+ students across Galway City and County over the past 6 months. Some of these workshops were fully funded through the Electric Ireland’s Energy for Generations Fund, others have been funded via school contributions, parental contributions, PTA contributions, DEIS school funding and other local and national funding sources.
Click here to see a brief analysis illustrating the responses of students that have taken part in the Mind Hacks mental health workshops so far!
- ‘Mind How You Go’ for primary schools = €300
- ‘Mind How You Go’ for post-primary and third level students = €450
- ‘The Voyage’ for 6th class primary schools (all day) = €550
- ‘Changing Conflict’ for 4th/5th year post-primary students = €450
- Specialised small group workshops = €200 per day (8 week workshop €1600)
NB: €50 expenses per day are additional for workshops outside of Galway City